CULTURAL HERITAGE PROTECTION IN TIMES OF RISK: CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES
In recent years natural and human induced hazards have increasingly turned into disasters of increasing frequency and intensity. These disasters pose threats to prominent cultural and natural heritage sites of the world. The aim of the "Cultural Heritage Protection in Times of Risk: Challenges and Opportunities" Symposium is to contribute towards reducing slow as well as catastrophic risks in short and long term, by sharing various case studies carried out or planned for mitigating their impacts and developing solutions with the cooperation of professionals working in this area.
The symposium aims to adopt a comprehensive approach that includes all kinds of risks of natural and human origin that threaten/might threaten cultural heritage. Various themes and topics would include all kinds of direct or indirect risks, including wars and local conflicts, large-scale projects that fail to recognize cultural heritage, effects of mass tourism, legislations and policies and their consequences which sometimes do not consider cultural heritage at all or in limited wayare within the scope of the symposium.
The topics covered in the field of cultural heritage will be:
- Mitigating risks from natural disasters
- Mitigating risks from human induced disasters
- Reducing risks from urbanization pressure
- Policies and legislations for risk reduction
- Reducing risks from tourism pressure
- Responding and recovering from disasters
- Role of media in disaster risk management
- Awareness and training for disaster risk reduction
Dates: 15 - 17 November 2012
Venue: Yildiz Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
For more information visit: